About Bhai Sahib
Bhai Sahib Satpal Singh Khalsa (A.K.A. Satpal Singh Kohli) is the Ambassador of Sikh Religion (Sikh Dharma) in the Western Hemisphere. He is the Chairman of Guru Ram Das Sikh Mission of America (New Mexico) and the Secretary of International Affairs, Akal Takhat for Sikh Dharma. He is also the director of Miri Piri Academy, Amritsar.
Bhai Sahib Satpal Singh Khalsa is one of the great diplomats of Sikhism, who has not only worked for their cause but dedicated his life towards it. Bhai Sahib has been working tirelessly for the cause of the Sikhs in the Western Hemisphere by spreading messages of Sikh Dharma.
Born on the 1st of August in Chennai, India, Satpal Singh did his schooling and college in India. After graduating from Summer Fields school in 1975, he joined the prestigious St. Stephen’s College in Delhi University in the Science department. He graduated from St. Stephen’s College in 1978 after which he left for USA for further studies. Bhai Sahib moved to the United States in May of 1978. Here he furthered his studies taking accounting, marketing and business principles in New Mexico.
His spiritual calling came when he met Panth Rattan Siri Singh Sahib Bhai Sahib Harbhajan Singh Khalsa Yogiji, who had a great influence on his life. Yogiji was not only his celestial father but also his spiritual teacher and he appointed Bhai Sahib as the Assistant Chief of Protocol for Sikh Dharma International. Bhai Sahib was responsible for arranging Yogiji’s meetings with world political and religious leaders. He also travelled with Yogiji as he taught throughout the world and worked with all of Yogi Bhajan’s organizations and business corporations such as Sikh Dharma International, 3HO, Sikh Net, Miri Piri Academy and Khalsa Council International.
Bhai Sahib’s efforts to spread the Sikh way of life and values have been recognized by the Sikh clergy in India and he was bestowed with the title of ‘Bhai Sahib’ and ‘Ambassador of Sikh Dharma’ by the Jathedar of Patna Sahib. His services to promote Sikhism have been recognized by Jathedars (High Priests) of all the five Takhats (the supreme seats of the Sikhs).
After Yogiji’s passing, Bhai Sahib dedicated his life to further the mission of Yogiji and advancing the foundation of Sikhs in America and the rest of the world. He travels extensively giving lectures in many cities across the world and is currently working on publishing books on Sikhism including translation of Japji Sahib and other Banis of Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Bhai Sahib is a certified Kundalini Yoga Teacher. He took his first class in Kundalini yoga with Kundalini Yoga Master-Yogi Bhajan in 1978 in Espanola, NM and also attended many classes Yogi Bhajan taught across the USA and worldwide. Since then he has been actively practicing Kundalini yoga and also promoting KRI teachings worldwide.
Bhai Sahib travels extensively in the USA and worldwide to promote Sikh teachings, inspire youth around the world and looking after his charitable work. He presently lives in India where he dedicates his time to helping Sikhs in rural areas and children who cannot afford education. He assists Sikhs and other residents of Punjab in areas where the drug problem is increasing. Bhai Sahib continues to work with youth in India, particularly in Punjab to keep their hair and turbans. He travels in India lecturing about the Sikh religion, Seva (free volunteer service), GRDSMA and other charitable services. These activities are supported entirely by donations from Sikh organizations around the world, including Sikh Dharma (India).
Chairman of the Guru Ram Das Sikh Mission of America
In this role Bhai Sahib’s accomplishments include:
• Guru Ram Das Mission sponsoring the Shabad Guru seminar which was also the launching of Guru Granth Sahib Tri-centennial in North America
• Successfully lobbing to make the US Congress to condemn the searching of the Turbans of the Sikhs at the Airport in pretext to the security checks.
• Assisting in translation and presentation of Guru Granth Sahib in Spanish at Hazur Sahib, Nanded.
• Representing the Guru Ram Das Sikh Mission of America Tercentenary celebrations held at Takht Sri Hazur Sahib in 2008.
• President of Sikh Chetna Mission in New Delhi, a non-profit organization working for education of unprivileged children
Awards of Bhai Sahib Ji:
• Granted the “Bhai Sahib” title from Takthat Sri Patna Sahib.
• Honored with Knighthood for his services towards Sikhism (2007)
• Received an NRi Gold Medal from the British High Commission in India
• Received the Robe of Honor (Chola Sahib) at Hazur Sahib.
• Appointed as Deputy Sheriff in New Mexico
• Received Congressional Recognition from Congresswoman Shelly Berkley for his diligent efforts, supporting the advancement and recognition of Asian Americans through his personal dedication and Philanthropy
• Received the Certificate of Commendation from Senator Harry Reid, for his persevering and hard work towards the Asian American Community
• Appointed as Convenor of Special Committee of Akal Takhat to handle USA affairs